Saturday, September 23, 2006

Pirates and Fairies

Just so you don't think it's all work here, and no games... think again! In order to strive for a balanced life in this 'foreign' country... we have had all kinds of 'theme' parties. This one was by far the best. Everyone went all out to dress up as a pirate and fairy (we even had someone dress up as a 'hairy fairy' which was 'VERY SCARY'!! (he knows who he is!!). Here I am pictured with two of my very dear friends, Pat (left) and Carrie (right). I'm the middle in case you haven't figured that out!! You are probably wondering why a 'fairy' would wear all black... well, I decided I'd wear black (cuz no one can be good ALL the time), but I also threw in hints of pink to show off my good side as well!)... (I know... those of you who know me well are asking 'what good side???')

Pat has become one of my closest friends here. She's funny, witty, sensitive, and is my mentor and friend. I have learned so much from her. We've started to walk a few days a week in the early morning (5:30 am is EARLY for me!!), but I so look forward to our time together to exercise, share what's happening in our lives, and pray for one another. She is soon leaving Mercy Ships, and returning to Texas, which makes me very sad, but I know that I have made a friend for life (friends really, as her husband, Terry, is a great guy). I just try to think of it as 'one more friend' I have to visit somewhere in the world.

My South African friend, Carrie, is such a blessing in my life. We have a lot of laughs together. She has unselfishly included me in her family, and I absolutely adore her two daughters (Katie, 2 and Rachel, 4). It makes up (a little bit) for not being able to see my nieces and nephews. Carrie and I enjoy scrapbooking together, shopping, planning parties, cooking ... you name it, and we'll find a way to have a great time doing it.

I thank God for good friends. It makes up (a bit) for missing my friends and family back home. Posted by Picasa

No comments: