Monday, February 22, 2010

Tanzania


I am here in Tanzania for 10 days visiting some very dear friends who are doing an amazing work here. I can't post pics because of the internet system, but will do it when I get back to France. I have experienced some amazing moments. The one most poignant at this point has been going with a woman who heads up a ministry for homeless children. We went to the dump early last Saturday morning. I was amazing to see so many small children there, and mothers with babies. We sang a few songs, told a story, then handed out bread and rice. To see these children, absolutely filthy, flies everywhere, holding a bunch of clean white bread in their hands, eating as if there were no tomorrow, my heart just broke. Then I remembered something I had written in my bible several years back. 'Lord, break my heart for what breaks yours'. I couldn't help but think ... if this breaks my heart, it surely must break God's!

Thank God for people like Andrea who have dedicated their life to making the world just a bit better for these homeless children in Tanzania. After leaving the dump, we then went to the market where a group of homeless boys try to earn a bit of money. There, we did essentially the same thing. We all gathered around a big acacia tree, sang a few songs, told a story, then treated them to chai and chapati.

We then went to where Andrea is restoring an old building for education, and a place for the children to eat, sleep and shower. She has a long way to go, but it's coming along. She took us to one room that is occupied by four homeless boys. They all share one bed (probably between the ages of 8-13). (heart breaking!), but also grateful for people like Andrea.

Also went to the village of Nytuka where my friends whom I'm visiting are doing some water projects. LOVED these village people - so friendly even though my Swahili is minimal. They LOVED having their picture taken (so they could see it in my screen). It was fun to be with them, but I couldn't help but see what a simplistic life they lead. That's not always a bad thing. There's nothing encumbering. Their life consists of what they will eat that day, dealing with their cows and goats if they own any, picking corn if they are harvesting some. The sun goes down, and there are no lights to turn out. Some of them walk several kilometers carrying containers which they will fill with water and walk the several kilometers back to their brick huts.

I am so privileged and blessed. May I never take a clean glass of water for granted!!

No comments: