Saturday, December 26, 2009

New Year's Resolution??












I know...I know... I've been so bad at updating my blog, but I am going to do my best to improve on this fact in 2010. It is sometimes hard to put into words what we do here keeping in mind confidentiality of the people with whom we work.

As I reflect on 2009, I am contemplating the amazing people; the deep issues that confront missionaries on the front line - from the 'uttermost' parts of the world; the diverse nationalities, and so much more - in this incredible work that the Lord has called me to do. I love what I do, and as I reflect on the transition of this past year, I recognize that the greatest sacrifice I make is in not getting to see my family and various friends around the world. That being said, I was so blessed that two of my sisters, Desiree and Dianna, were able to come to France (my sister, Desiree, won a trip to Paris and Bordeaux and I joined them) this past October. We argued over who God was giving this to - me or them (perhaps it was all of us!!). We were able to make special sister memories! What a precious time as we did the touristy thing around Paris, but more importantly, getting to share in each other's lives on a day to day basis for the 9 days we had together.

Also, my dear friend, Lisa came to visit me this past June and treated me to a beautiful time in various places around Italy and France. It's always a blessing when my family/ friends/ supporters get to see where I live, work, and experience a little bit of the european life-style first hand. And there's something to be said when they get to see 'how' I live, the rooms where I spend hours with the missionaries who come to us for debriefing, and meet my co-workers. It helps when we talk and I can say a name, and they can put a face to a name.

I am also reflecting on so many of you all over the world - from West Coast to East Coast in the US; to the beautiful Southern hospitality of the US, and up in the beautiful North Coast; my friends across Europe, throughout West, South, East and North Africa; all the way to New Zealand and Australia; others who are spread throughout India, Mongolia, China, Thailand, Singapore, and other countries in Asia; my dear friends who are aboard the Africa Mercy where I spent 3 of my 8 years in Mercy Ships pouring my life into the refitting of that ship; I think of my friends who are in different organizations throughout the world ... I marvel at the tool of Facebook and how it has allowed me to reconnect with so many people. I have over 1000 friends on facebook, and I say that not in a prideful way, but as a reminder to myself that my worlds have all come together. From past students whom I've taught, and who are all now grown-up and have kids in college of their own; to friends from my Apple Computer Days, elementary school days; high school friends; university friends; family; cousins; aunts and uncles; missions friends - it's amazing really!

It's a reminder that somehow, some way, we are all connected! And I hope it continues to be so, because in a world that says we should be independent, strong, and live for ourselves ... I am saying, we really do need to be dependent on each other; to help each other be strong, and to live for others. We are instructed to 'lay our lives down' for one another. I am willing to do that - are you?

No comments: